Tucson: Bar None If You're Under Twenty-One

Here is a guide and critique of Tucson's college bar scene.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Gentle, Ben, Gentle...

I guess the slippery roads cause for a slippery turn-out at Gentle Ben's Brewing Company http://gentlebens.intrigomedia.com/content/display/file/index.php. Located at 865 E. University Boulevard, "Ben's" is a local hang-out most popular on Thursday nights.

Not this Thursdsay night.

August 31 had rainy weather and a half-decent turnout in the forecast. Over the past year I had heard many stories of Thursday evenings where Ben's was the "cool" place to be. You would run into many classmates and friends on this night, seeing them make fools of themselves dancing on the dance floor, attempting to sneak in with a fake ID, or cutting the line extending down University with their "VIP" status.

This night was unlike the stories I had heard.

There were less than five people standing in line before me. Not that I was complaining - lines are never fun. However, they do say a little about the place.

Either way, I found my way up the stairs to the center of the music.

the place was half-filled with a crowd I hadn't seen too often at bars. In one word, the crowd was "diverse." It was pretty cool and interesting to see your not-so-typical Seven-jeans-and-Lacoste-polo-dressed students prancing around making it be known that money was not an issue. I felt like I was standing out in the crowd this time.

The music was blaring to current popular music like Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back." (Yeah). The dance floor was filled with many girls, very little guys. This was typical of a place where guys had to be put up to humiliation to present to the world their dance moves (or lack thereof). I could see maybe 10% of the people on the dance floor being males (if that).

The crowd kept moving from the inside to the outside patio decks. One long table with what seemed like 4-feet-high stools (they seemed extremely tall to me because I was a short girl trying to climb the stool in a short skirt). Sitting and observing everyone I noticed that this place was extremely casual, not fancy pancy like Sam Hughes Place Championship Dining, 446 N. Campbell Ave.

The prices were pretty affordable. I got a "double" Long Island Iced Tea (whatever that meant) for $5.50. The beer was buy one get one free - at least that is what my friend told me when she used my open tab to purchase herself some alcohol.

Those who I spoke to who frequently visited Ben's on Thursdays told me that this was an off night and usually the place was packed to the max.

I guess I will wait until next time...a day where the rainy weather doesn't scare the crowd away.



...................


Check out a recipe:

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink590.html (Long Island Iced Tea)


Have you visited Gentle Ben's? Make your comment here along with reading other reviews:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2809350-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AguEfmzx.2o0KO5.I7wWl0M1FmoL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home