Tucson: Bar None If You're Under Twenty-One

Here is a guide and critique of Tucson's college bar scene.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sullivan's: for a swingin' good time

I thought I'd change it up a little. Instead of the regular college-scene bars I'd try out something a little more...tasteful. I've been in Tucson for three years now and I had yet to have a meal at Sullivan's Steakhouse. I've heard a little about their bar (mostly that it was an older, richer crowd) so I thought I'd check it out myself.

I went in for a nice Sunday dinner at Sullivan's. Instead of just having dinner in the dining room, I decided that the lounge would be a better experience. The lounge housed the bar and the live jazz band. The bar was just gorgeous. It was not the typical T-loc scene of drunken messes all around. Sure, it was a Sunday night but even at bars such as Trident and O'Malleys you'd be sure to have a little college chaos around.


The drink display was, as they'd say in the movie "Swingers," MONEY. It was a pretty collection of alcoholic bottles - from wine to the hard liquors. The
columns behind the bar were lit with an orangish glow. The leather-topped stools were studded on the edges with golden bullets. The jazz band played a couple familiar songs like the opening jingle to "Cheers." The room was very open yet felt secluded at the same time. Windows acted as one of the walls. Because it was nighttime we were able to see the tables outside on the patio with candles shining on each setting.

The top of each wall was lined with a 2' to 3' border telling the story through scenes. It continued the bar's jazz theme with portrayals of people enjoying themselves with glasses of wine and musical instruments.




I tried the Pucker Up martini (Smirnoff Apple Tiwst & Sour Apple Pucker splashed with Sweet & sour). It was a delicious apple treat with a cheery on the bottom for $8.50. It seems that you're paying for the higher-class atmosphere, not really for the drink itself. They advertised their Thursday specials: "Swingin' at Sully's." From 5 p.m. until close, the white wine feature and signature martinis are $5 each (with complimentary cigars for the ladies).

The signature martinis include:
* The Knockout
* The Orange Blossom
* CEO
* Lemon Drop
* Pucker Up
* Margatini
* Cosmopolitan

If you're looking to meet a college-aged student, I wouldn't really recommend this bar. However, I did enjoy being greeted by the entertainers there. As my friend left me alone for a few minutes at the table, a man who I had seen frequenting the bar every few minutes approached me. Here's one difference between the college scene and the Sullivan's scene: guys actually talk to you. He politely shook my hand when he introduced himself and began explaining that he needed to keep himself entertained while it wasn't his turn on the set (he was the introductory act with Frank Sinatra-like music accompanied by the big band). Sure he was intoxicated and may have eaten a piece of my friend's calamari off her plate without her permission, but he was entertaining at least. At least he didn't drunkenly stumble or ask me what my major was.


Here's a recipe for a drink mentioned in this blog:

Pucker Up


Check out other reviews of Sullivans:

DotcomTucson review

Citsearch review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home