Tucson: Bar None If You're Under Twenty-One

Here is a guide and critique of Tucson's college bar scene.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Championship Dining: Drinks for UA Champions

championship frontSam Hughes Place Championship Dining", 446 N. Campbell Ave., Suite 150, is the newer, convenient sports bar right on the edge of campus. Located on the corner of 6th Street and Campbell Avenue, it is surrounded by students' condominums and a few retail stores and eateries.

The buzz about Championship has grown vastly in the past year. Friday night seems to be designated the "night" to go to Champs (as some people call it). It attracts students with its stunning, higher-class-ish-looking interior. The honey onyx bar top swerves around in an s-shape and accents the honey-colored lights above it. Champs is the perfect place to watch sports games because of its collection of plasma flat screens placed around the bar. Though the place gets crowded very easily, there are a good amount of high-topped booths and tables spread throughout the bar area inside as well as tables outside on the patio. When the weather's nice out, the patio is the perfect solution when there's no room to move.


Bar interior1It was only my second time at this bar (and the first was in the summer so that didn't really count). I wasn't sure what to order because I felt like this was a bar where a beer just wouldn't look too attractive for a girl to have. I went with my typical drink of choice, a Long Island Iced Tea. My roommate was celebrating her second-to-last day as a 21-year-old, so I thought I would buy her her drink of choice: a strawberry daiquiri. We were a little surprised that they even made frozen drinks at a campus bar. Believe me, she looked a little funny walking around with such a classy drink at a place filled with college students; it was even topped with whipped cream and a cherry.

Interior2Looking around I saw an unusually large amount of colored drinks in place of the typical abundant sights of domestic beer bottles. I discovered that the popular, large glass mug of blue liquid was known as an "Irish Trash Can." I was curious as to why there was a can of Red Bull dumped upside down and floating in the liquid, but the name of that put my curiosity to rest. I took a sip of someone's drink and it tasted like pure Red Bull (at least to me it did). If you like Red Bull energy drink, you should try this enticing drink.

I'm not a huge fan of wine (I know, call me crazy), but Championship had a
seemingly large selection of wine set up on a glass display. The alcohol just seems to flow at this place.

Alcohol pictureThere seemed to be a little bit of an older crowd at Championship, though it was predominantly college students. A few times I'd look around and see 30-something or 40-something-year-old guys. I just thought, "Hmm, what are they doing here?" One guy even tapped my friend and I on our way out of the bar. He wondered if he could ask us a question. We said sure. He then proceeded to turn around, place his hand on his side, and stand in a position so that we could check out his rear-end. He said, "It's nice, right?" We just laughed. I guess all guys are goofy no matter what age.

The prices didn't seem to be as high as I remembered this visit. The daiquiri and iced tea (both of which we thought were too strong, but I guess that's a good thing) were $13 total. My last visit there I thought the prices were so expensive when my friend bought two Yager Bombs and it cost him a little under $20. Compared to $1 drink specials at other bars, I guess the place is a little pricey. If you can fit the prices into your college budget, check this place out! Be careful what time you get there though. The line at the door begins around 11-11:30 p.m. And believe me, you will wait a while before getting through the doors.

Championship Dining Sign

Check out recipes for a few drinks mentioned in this blog:

Strawberry Daiquiri

Irish Trash Can

Jager Bomb

Check out other reviews of Champs

Tucson Weekly Review

Visittucson.org Review

1 Comments:

  • At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love it! And my favorite part is your subway art print-think I'll have to have you do one for me!

    honey onyx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home